About .in Domains
.IN Registry aka as NIXI (National Internet exchange of India)is the sponsor and GoDaddy Registry is our backend provider for the country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) .in extension that represents India.
Who can register .in domains?
Anyone can register .in, .co.in, .firm.in, .gen.in, .ind.in, .net.in, and .org.in domain names.
- .in: Intended for India businesses or individuals.
- .co.in: Intended for commercial entities.
- .firm.in: Intended for firms and companies.
- .gen.in: Intended for general use.
- .ind.in: Intended for private individuals.
- .net.in: Intended for network infrastructures, such as Internet Service Providers.
- .org.in: Intended for non-profit organizations.
When registering a .in domain, you must follow specific requirements.
- Must use: 3 - 63 Characters
- Can use: Letters (a-z characters), numbers (0-9) and hyphens (except in the 1st or last characters of the domain name)
- Cannot use: Special characters (e.g., & and #)
- IDNs: Not supported
- Registration length: 1 - 10 years
- Renewal length: 1 - 10 years
- Your .in domain name renews on its expiration date. Auto-renewal is attempted on the the domain name's expiration date. If the renewal attempt fails, we re-attempt renewal 10 days later. If the second renewal attempt fails, we try again 5 days after that.
- If we cannot auto-renew the domain name and you do not manually renew it by the 17th day after the expiration date, it must be redeemed. There might be a fee for the redemption. See Renew my expired GoDaddy domain for instructions on the redemption.
- For example: Your .in domain name expires on October 10. For automatic renewals, we attempt to renew the domain name on October 10, October 20, and October 25.
- Backorders: Not supported
- Transfers to GoDaddy: Supported
- Must use: 2 - 63 (IND.IN only)
- Transfers away from GoDaddy: Supported
- Transfer Lock: Supported
- Transfers to another GoDaddy account: Supported
- Restricted for 10 days following registration.
- Basic privacy protection: Not supported
- Protection plan upgrades: Supported
- Cash Parking: Not supported
- Contact Updates: Supported
- Must use: 2-13 Nameservers
- Can use: IPv4
- Cannot use: IPv6, DNSSEC
For details on refunds, see our refund policy. Most domains will follow the Standard Refund Terms, but certain domains may have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Review the information under Products with Special Refund Terms > Domain Name Registrations/Renewals and Products Not Eligible for Refunds.
- Want to register a .in domain? Search for your domain today.
- Want to register a .co.in domain? Search for your domain today.
- Want to register a .firm.in domain? Search for your domain today.
- Want to register a .gen.in domain? Search for your domain today.
- Want to register a .ind.in domain? Search for your domain today.
- Want to register a .net.in domain? Search for your domain today.
- Want to register a .org.in domain? Search for your domain today.
- Check out our most common domain articles to get started with your .in domain.